RESS RECOMMENDS SLP

Alum Lindsay Ress reports on success and opportunities in Speech Language Pathology:

I graduated in 2013 with my BA in Linguistics at UCSC and then took a year off to figure out what I wanted to do next. During undergrad, I interned with a speech language pathologist (SLP) in Santa Cruz. I fell in love with this career. It was a perfect mix of working with people and using knowledge of speech and language. I applied to a few grad programs for speech and language pathology and went to San Jose State University for the 3-year extended masters. It’s typically a 2-year program, but because I have a BA in a different field, I was in the 3-year program. I graduated in May of this year and am currently working at a pediatric therapy center, then starting in a school district this fall, both as an official SLP. For anyone interested in working with people on difficulties with speech and language, I’d suggest looking more into this field and possibly doing some volunteering. It’s always fun, interesting, and currently very in demand – there is no shortage of jobs (and pays well too)!